Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pointless yet entertaining

In my search of things to blog about this week I found a lot of different articles about lawsuits, rapes, facebook climbing in popularity, more businesses jumping on the bandwagon, etc. There were some interesting and appalling things that I could mention but a lot of it seemed negative and I was sick of it. I know there are bad things but facebook also has many benefits. I did come across this article, it made me laugh and reflect on all the pointless things that take place on facebook. I believe many people see them as such but yet we all participate for one reason or another.

This particular article (which I mentioned above) is about the fan page "MY SISTER SAID IF I GET ONE MILLION FANS SHE WILL NAME HER BABY MEGATRON." I remember seeing this and thinking it was kind of dumb and there is no way that was going to happen but apparently they got the fans. Who knows if it is real but I sure did find entertainment in the idea and the fact that it has generated so much attention. I then thought about the other fan pages I have either seen or personally joined which were based on this same idea of looking for a specific number of fans. Did they reach their goal? In case you were curious here are the stats of the couple that I did join...

"I bet BYU fans can get 1,000,000 fans before Utah can!"

BYU Fans = 73,035
U of U fans = 68,127

I think BYU is winning, although we both still have a ways to go.
I love how Utah state and Weber had to join in on this as well

Utah State fans = 17,818
Weber fans = 3,798 (funny thing about this one though is they bet they could get 78 fans before BYU or Utah could get 1,000,000. I think they won!)

I know the rest of you may not care about this one but I have to keep up a little bit of my high school pride between us, Bingham, and our biggest rival, Alta there was a bet to see who could get 1,000 fans first. Apparently Bingham got their fans first but Alta got them faster. Here are the currents stats.

Bingham = 3,027
Alta = 2,529

This is all pointless right? it really doesn't mean anything but yet even the most down to earth person can get caught up in it.

5 comments:

  1. pointless facebook groups/apps have a funny way of sucking us in. hah

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many of those things going around. Something that I have seen on facebook recently is "overheard @ BYU" have you seen it? That would be an interesting blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I am so curious to know if they named her baby Megatron ha ha! It is funny how things can be so pointless but they completely draw you in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "mommy? why do i have a ridiculously stupid name?"

    "you've got a ridiculously stupid mother! what did you expect?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you decided against writing a blog post about businesses jumping on the facebook bandwagon. It gave me something fun to think about whilst I sit here watching a fairly boring movie...

    ReplyDelete